STOP THINK CHECK
BE CAUTIOUS DON’T TRUST ANYONE ONLINE....you have never met, ...who professes love quickly, ...asking for money, ...who wants to connect offline
HOW CAN SCAMMERS GET MY INFORMATION?
• Physical theft (e.g. credit cards/ passports/ mail/ trash)
• Social engineering (e.g. phishing, false friendships)
• Over sharing of personal information (face to face / people you trust / social media)
• Online shopping (untrusted sites)
WHAT IS PHISHING?
Phishing is a cybercrime in which individuals are contacted by email, telephone or text message by someone posing as a legitimate institution.
MOST COMMON PHISHING SCAMS
• Banking and credit card sign up emails
• You have a delivery we just need your.......
• Winning Sweepstakes/Lottery
• Tax Imposter
• Free goods and services
• Investments and mortgages
• Tech support needs you to do something.....
Password1 is not a good password.
Your date of birth, anniversary, kids birthdays, etc are not good pin numbers
$Thatcatislookingatmefunny$@&43 is a good password. GO LONG! Longer is stronger
DON’T SHARE IT (with anyone!) No legitimate company or government body will ask for your password
USE DIFFERENT PASSWORDS For each account. If one of your accounts is hacked, all your accounts are at risk!
Lastly don't tell the whole world on social media that you will be gone on vacation. You might as well put up a rob me please sign in your front yard :)